dimanche 22 février 2009

Sound from Bristol

Tricky. Glasgow, The Arches. 19th of February 2009.





Trip Hop, music from the 90s and from Bristol. Tricky was part of Massive Attack at their beginning. His real first name is Adrian, obviously a nice guy... He had a not easy childhood. His father left when he was born and his mother commited suicide when he was four. He named his first solo album after his mother "Maxinquaye" for Maxine Quaye. I listened a lot of trip hop at the beginning of the 90s, with Massive Attack and Portishead, the two icons from Bristol. I didn't really followed carefully Tricky's records but as he was coming to town, I was curious. It was really good. Songs often start slowly, then get louder or faster or both to finally explode with Tricky becoming a bit crazy sometimes.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RFOAEGm_Yw&feature=channel_page



He is definitely not anymore in the same wave than Massive Attack. I don't know if his music is quiet on records but live, it sounds more like the anger bursts out! At least it doesn't sound like another britpop band we can hear everywhere.




And time to write about some others...




Portishead. Edinburgh, Corn Exchange. 12th of April 2008.


One of the most awaited comeback ever for me. Their last gig in France was in Saint Malo, for "La Route du Rock" festival in August 1998. I was tempted to go at that time. I didn't and had regrets until last year.

I love their first record Dummy. I got it on Vinyl... and I have always been shocked by Beth's voice. I saw her for a solo tour in 2003 at Artrock, it was really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtl2CbgWWJI&feature=related

Rumour was rolling for years that Beth, Geoff and Adrian (this one uses a screwdriver as a bow on his guitar sometimes...) were planning to come back together, that they started playing and recording but the D day finally arrives. The UK tour was before "Third" was released, so it was a bit strange to hear the new songs live. Somehow I listened to their records a few times before getting into it, so straight away at a gig, it was a weird feeling. But the show was great, setlist was a good mix of old songs and new ones.

Great version of "Wandering star": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgIerp2h2Hg

One from "Third", "We carry on": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS5Vr1vGXNU&feature=related

So in the end, it was worth to spend the weekend in Edinburgh, no doubt about that. I hope we won't wait ten years again before a new record and other gigs...

By the way, I hugged Beth at the end of the gig...


1 commentaire:

Julie a dit…

Encore une belle page musicale, merci.