dimanche 25 janvier 2009

Outer Hebrides (Part 2)

May 2008. Lewis


From Tarbert, I took a bus to Stornoway. I talked with a retired Dutch guy at the bunkhouse, he told me to go to the Hebhostel. http://www.hebhostel.co.uk/home.htm and he was right. Place is clean, comfortable and Christine, the young Scottish girl who runs the place, is nice.

Stornoway is the main town of all the Hebrides. Around 6000 people if I remember well.

There is a castle, Lewis castle but you can't actually get inside.



Place to see on Lewis are the stones at Callanish.


Lewis is flat compared to Harris and coastlins are rough, there is no beach like on Harris neither.

I went to the top North of the island, called Butt of Lewis.






The Vikings came from the nordic countries and settled on Lewis. They tried to invade the main land from there after. You can find paintings or statues of them like in Stornoway harbour.


Dr Scott has a chess game in the Museum with pieces like those:


Then I had to go back to the mainland. I crossed the Minch with the Ferry and went to Ullapool. John told me to go at some place to sleep and "Tell Andy, you know John from Largs, he will remember" but Andy is retired know...





Ullapool bay


Aucun commentaire: